Sunday, February 24, 2013

Episode 14: Vulnerabilty and Recovery


Quick - what does the word 'vulnerability' mean to you? Does it have positive or negative connotations for you?  Or both?

The dictionary defines vulnerability as this:  "the inability to withstand the effects of a hostile environment".  Other definitions include: "reduced defensive measures" or "susceptible to physical or emotional attack".

Doesn't sound so good, right?

So why is vulnerability such a cornerstone to recovery? How do we navigate its potentially treacherous waters?  Why is it so pivotal?

Listen Lisa, Amanda and Ellie, co-hosts of The Bubble Hour, as we have an open (and, yes, vulnerable) conversation about the topic of vulnerability.   

Through the power of story and shared experience, we discuss what vulnerability means to us, and 
how it continues to evolve for us as women in recovery from alcoholism.

Listen through the widget below, or subscribe to our podcast through the link on the right hand sidebar (or read how in the tab above):

 

 
Listen to internet radio with The Bubble Hour on Blog Talk Radio

2 comments:

  1. Interesting question.... it's kind of like the word 'surrender'. When I 'surrendered' to the fact that I am an alcoholic, I got stronger, I decided to give up that life and I chose another. I found freedom and pride. So, surrender is - for me - an empowering word.

    'Vulnerability' is the same kind of thing for me. If I am 'vulnerable' to something (eg. alcohol), then KNOWING my vulnerability makes me strong.

    If I lie to myself about my weaknesses and vulnerabilities - if I pretend that they do not exist or that I have Kryptonite in my pocket - then I am actually MORE vulnerable to their affects and influences than if I simply admitted that I am susceptible to them.

    I loved this explanation in the Tao of Pooh: "'One disease, long life; no disease, short life'. In other words, those who know what's wrong with them and take care of themselves (...) will tend to live a lot longer than those who consider themselves perfectly healthy and neglect their weaknesses. So (...) a Weakness of some sort can do you a big favour, if you acknowledge that it's there."

    So, I think that by acknowledging my vulnerabilities surrounding alcohol, I am healthier, stronger, and NOT so vulnerable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Vulnerability' is the same kind of thing for me. If I am 'vulnerable' to something (eg. alcohol), then KNOWING my vulnerability makes me strong.

      LOVE this! Thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete