Sunday, December 22, 2013

Grief in Recovery

In recovery, we are promised a safe landing, not a calm passage. We will have to experience grief like anyone in this life. Grief can arise from many of life’s challenging situations such as the ending of a relationship, the death of a loved one, the loss or change of jobs, a serious illness or operation. Even getting sober - giving up our addictions - can give rise to grief.

Now that we are sober, we will sit with many strong emotions - anger, frustration, fear, sadness, guilt, hopelessness, relief, loneliness. And although grief can be a major trigger for relapse (that old impulse to numb our feelings), we find that in sobriety we can handle hard things. We seek fellowship with others in recovery, we use our tools, and we have compassion for our grieving hearts. Join us as we meet some people who are healing their grieving hearts in recovery. With loving kindness, we share this journey and find that our hearts are capable of holding the sacredness of grief.


Click on the link below to listen to this episode. 


Online Lifestyle Radio at Blog Talk Radio with The Bubble Hour on BlogTalkRadio

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this episode. I listened to it early Christmas Eve morning while my family was still asleep, and it was exactly what I needed. I've been in recovery for 15 months. My mother died in 2011 while I was still drinking, and my father died 2 1/2 months ago. I know that I will listen to this episode again.
    Also, because of the bubble hour, I am currently reading Ann Dowsett Johnston's book. I purposely bought the book to read during the holidays because I know this is going to be a difficult time to stay sober.
    Thank you so much for the work you do, and bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of you and sending love and light. So glad you're with us on this recovery joinery.

      Delete