Sunday, April 27, 2014

Early Sobriety - Am I Ever Going To Feel Better?

When we stop drinking most people experience physical withdrawal symptoms (acute) which can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. It's not fun, but most people expect it and are rewarded with immediate physical benefits once the alcohol or drug is purged from their system. Our lives begin to improve and we are happy, BUT then there are other things that seem to be getting worse - mood swings, anxiety, irregular sleep, etc. - and we want to scream, "I did NOT get sober for this!"  

The good news and bad news is this is completely normal. What we are experiencing is called PAWS or Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, which feels like an emotional roller coaster. PAWS can be very difficult to deal with and is a huge trigger for relapse, but drinking will only make the process start all over again and who wants to do that?!!!  So how do we get through it? How do  we manage the roller coaster ride of early sobriety? 

Join us on this episode of The Bubble Hour as we talk to our guests about their experience with early sobriety and the tools they used to alleviate PAWS symptoms. 



Popular Lifestyle Internet Radio with The Bubble Hour on BlogTalkRadio

6 comments:

  1. Hello, newly sober here, day 7, third attempt. Thanks so much for this podcast. What is the BFB support group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found it! Yay! But it says its for Moms and Dads, and I'm not a mom (or a dad for that matter). That is disheartening... is there another group that you may know of that I can join? Thanks so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please send us a private message on our Facebook page or you can email me at anfinnerty@gmail.com. Thank you - Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. New repeat attempts too, since July 14th. I have been listening to you while at work, this was very good . on Day 4, again . . .I was trying to get on BFB but i am single too. Any suggestions appreciated. I signed up for yahoo group - didn't connect to the BFB. But, then again, I am irritable and tweaky. Thanks for all you do! I listen while at work trying to get thru the tedium.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I apologize, I am just seeing your comment now. I can help you get into the BFB if you want to send me a private message on Facebook (my name is Amanda Finnerty) or you can send me an email. Don't give up...it does get better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was my first time listening here, it was a really inspiring podcast. Thanks heaps ladies.

    ReplyDelete