Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sober "Firsts" - Part 1

Early recovery is full of “sober firsts”. They seem to come fast and furious in the initial weeks and months, and can be overwhelming at times. Eventually, the “firsts” are fewer and further between, but their infrequency can make them feel more jarring. On this episode of The Bubble Hour we look at “sober firsts” of three major types:

  • “Mixing with the Normies” – going back to the places and situations where drinking is part of the milieu, now as a person in recovery
  • “Engaging in Recovery” – new places and situations you encounter once you quit drinking
  • “Sober and Solo” – the things you go to or through on your own.

Join us and our guests as we talk about what these experiences were like for us and some tips for navigating these challenges of early sobriety.

We had so much to talk about on this show we couldn't get to it all, so stay tuned for Part 2!



Find Additional Lifestyle Podcasts with The Bubble Hour on BlogTalkRadio

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I recently listened to this post. You mentioned about not going to events because your not ready to go! what if your witching hour is being by yourself! Thats my problem for me! being on my own. My concern is if I stay at home do I have a bigger trigger than if I go out?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I definitely do not recommend isolating or trying to do this alone, but yes, I avoided all "drinking" events in the beginning. I attended recovery meetings on a daily basis and made many new friends and did sober things with them outside of meetings. We talk a lot about building your own sober network on the show - I know that helped me quite a bit. If you are not comfortable with meetings at this point, maybe you could ask your friends to do things with you that don't involve drinking. Stick with it. It keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete